Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Week 20 – It’s a…

We had our 20 week ultrasound at the specialist OB’s office today.  Both the ultrasound tech and the doctor looked over the images, took the usual measurements, and printed off lots of pictures for us to take home.  The doctor said BK’s development looks normal, is on pace with everything, and that it appears to be a healthy baby GIRL!

Sucking her thumb


Thinking Pose
Some people can just tell what they are having, but I never had a gut feeling for either sex.  I was hoping for a girl though, so that overshadowed the news of her not having Down’s Syndrome.  If she did have it (and she still could because the only 100% way to know for sure is to have the genetics of the fetus mapped via amniocentesis), we both knew we were still going to continue with everything.  We just wanted to know so that we could start preparing ourselves.  We decided that having an amniocentesis was a little too aggressive since nothing unusual was detected in the ultrasound (also I’m a baby and don’t want a 20 ft needle to stab me).  We did settle on having the Materni-21 test done, which is just a simple blood test on me and is 90 something percent conclusive.

On the way home, we stopped to run some errands.  I couldn’t help it, but I did pick up a few girly outfits :) We’re not going to tell anyone the sex until after the baby showers because we’re hoping to avoid a lot of girl-only things.  The hope is to have another kid down the line and if he’s a boy, we don’t want to have to get all new things…especially because that first year you use things for such a short amount of time!  I know I’m posting here that BK is a girl, but I’m actually not publishing these posts until after we have the showers and tell our families in person.

20 Weeks
The rest of this week is going to be filled with moving craziness, so I better do my update on BK’s development now before I forget.  SHE (see what I did there, haha) is 6 ½ inches long, 10 ounces big, and is the size of a cantaloupe.  I’m glad we returned to the fruit comparisons.  This whole ‘size of your open hand’ or ‘size of a chicken breast’ just wasn’t cutting it.  Since she is a girl, her uterus is fully formed and the ovaries have about 7 million eggs…though at birth it will get down to about 2 million.  I’m halfway through the pregnancy at this point!  I feel…busy, lol.  I’m pretty good now but I suspect by the end of this week I’m going to be dragging and hurting and pretty much in zombie mode mentally.  So much to get done!

Trevor’s Note:  Two great discoveries this week.  Our baby almost certainly doesn’t have Down’s and it’s a girl.  I don’t know what I’ve done to deserve so much, but I am so thankful.  That’s not to say I’m not still stressed out (this week has been crazy and it’s only just begun), but I am going to focus on the positives.

No comments:

Post a Comment